Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) is a security model that assumes no user or device is inherently trusted, and that all access to applications and data must be explicitly authorized. ZTNA solutions provide secure remote access to applications and services based on defined access control policies. Unlike legacy VPNs, which grant complete access to a LAN, ZTNA solutions default to deny, providing only access to services the user has been explicitly granted.
Key features for a ZTNA solution:
- Micro-segmentation: ZTNA solutions allow organizations to segment access to applications and data down to individual users or devices. This helps to reduce the blast radius of a security breach and makes it more difficult for attackers to move laterally within the network.
- Least privilege: ZTNA solutions only grant users access to the applications and data they need to do their jobs. This helps to reduce the attack surface and makes it more difficult for attackers to exploit vulnerabilities.
- Identity-based access control: ZTNA solutions use identity-based access control to authenticate and authorize users. This helps to ensure that only authorized users can access applications and data, regardless of their location or device.
- Continuous monitoring: ZTNA solutions continuously monitor user and device activity to detect and prevent unauthorized access. This helps to ensure that the security posture of the network is always maintained.
ZTNA Based Solutions are superior to VPNs
- Improved security: ZTNA solutions provide a more granular and secure way to control access to applications and data.
- Reduced complexity: ZTNA services are easier to deploy and manage than traditional VPNs.
- Increased flexibility: ZTNA principles can be used to support a variety of remote access scenarios, including BYOD, hybrid work, and multi-cloud environments.
Use Cases for ZTNA Solutions
- Remote access: ZTNA solutions can be used to provide secure remote access to applications and data for employees, contractors, and partners.
- Work From Anywhere: ZTNA solutions are not just more secure but Cloudbrink provides faster connectivity than with or without traditional legacy VPNs and standard cloud routing architecture.
- Branch office access: ZTNA solutions can be used to provide secure access to applications and data for users in branch offices.
- IoT security: ZTNA solutions can be used to secure access to IoT devices.
- Data center security: ZTNA solutions can be used to secure access to data centers.
- Compliance: ZTNA solutions can help organizations to meet compliance requirements, such as HIPAA and PCI DSS.
ZTNA is part of the future of Secure and Fast Remote Connectivity
As organizations need to replace legacy VPN systems, Gartner recommends adopting new, more secure principles and technologies centered around SASE, ZTNA and UCaaS. Cloudbrink have brought these technologies together in one simple solution as Hybrid-Access-as-a-Service (HAaaS).